Paddlesworth, Pollard, P36 - The 'W'

Thursday, 29 July 2021
Using the bivvy as a hide. I was fishing at very short range and of course didn't want the carp to detect my presence, hence, shielding myself from the water. Didn't make any difference though.

I had a quick lead around before deciding where to put the baits. There was no one fishing at this end which I deemed to be a good thing. No lines going through the water.

I once again failed to find the mythical plateau alleged to be out in front and found only 17 - 19 feet. Far too deep. Fifteen is an absolute maximum.

Close in however, off the marginal trees I found ten. Since my good friend Steve regularly catches close in, this is where the baits will be fished, all in solid bags. I have a bucket of hemp over which I intend to introduce to draw fish down through the Eel Grass.
Double-bagged to get down through the Eel Grass. It was still ten feet close in and I didn't want to risk the bag melting before it had got to the bottom.

9.43 All baits in position with hemp over the top. Nothing more to do than sit back and wait - oh, and make a cup of tea to take the taste of PVA away!

10.35 a line bite on the LH rod. Went right up to the butt and back down again. Am I fishing too far out?

There's a very big fish right over the top of my centre rod, it's on the surface, looks like it might be in distress. It's definitely a very big fish.
3.5 ozs. Korda Flat In-line leads with Gemini Solid Bag stems. A short length of Korda Supernatural and size 4 Wide Gapes, the hair mounted blow-back style by making a couple of half-hitches around the shank.
I had another line bite on the LH rod so withdrew both left and right hand rods in and dropped them closer to the trees. In fact the LH rod was only marginally shorter so I think I'll do it again.

16.30 Slight tactical change. Withdrew both the RH and Centre rods and are now fishing them on the same spot in front at short range. Where I saw the fish earlier on. Hemp over the top. LH rod is still just off the tree.

I know there are huge carp in here, indeed, I may well have seen one of them earlier on today. It's knowing they're in here and so close which adds to the frustration of not being able to catch them 🐟😡
Hookbaits were Mainline Cell dumbbells with the end cut off and a Mainline 'Topper' in one of three colours to counter-balance.
I guess that's the thrill of trying to get them that brings me back time after time. It just feels though as if I'm running out of time...

Weather looks grim for tomorrow. Looks like a wet packup.

Friday, 30 July 2021

Blank night apart from a line bite some time during the hours of darkness. Weather turned nasty with heavy rain prior to dawn and I'm just working out when will be a good time to get off the lake.

Yet another disappointing session in pursuit of a monster, but hey ho, that's fishing 🎣



Comments

Popular posts from this blog