Paddlesworth Burrows, The Stones

18th. November 2020

'The Stones'

13.19

I've just knocked over the milk inside the new bivvy and the mess is indescribable. Why do we do these things? My brand spanking new bivvy, and the floor is covered in milk!


It was a gift from Chris for my seventieth birthday and I suppose you could say I have christened it. Sort of.


I have two baits at four wraps in the near margin. I'm fishing just beyond the edge of the marginal slope.


The bottom suddenly drops away into ten feet

The object of this session is to compare these two rigs:


The two rigs. 
Left: 4" fluorocarbon
Right: 8" coated braid


One is a fluorocarbon jobby, four inches long, the other, a coated braid rig, stripped back to give a bit of movement. The fluorocarbon rig is tied German rig style. Both baits are plastic corn.


So what have I been doing the past few weeks? Well I haven't been carp fishing that's for sure. I've been to the beach, sea fishing. Don't know why. Just fancied doing something different. I've been enjoying it immensely and want to do more. It kind of fits in nicely with carp fishing because the tides determine when you can go and some weeks they're just not convenient.


I'd rather like to catch a big Bass. No. I really would like to catch a big Bass. Why? I have no idea… I almost want to get one as badly as a forty pound carp. My recent seventieth birthday brought into focus the fact time is starting to run out.


The clock has just started ticking…


14.50

No fish seen so far. I haven't heard anything jump either. No point in recasting the baits as there hasn't been any action on the rods. Spitting with rain so time to get in the bivvy.


It all looks very quiet out there.


15.37

Just heard a fish jump down to my left. There's something alive out there after all!


17.06

It's started to rain. This wasn't in the forecast. They lied! Thankfully it looks like it won't be much.


17.35

Just heard another fish jump. To the right this time.


18.10

Turned into a bit of a wild evening. The wind is howling and one of the buzzers is chattering. Don't like these conditions although the mildness of the weather should be good for the fishing.


The new Ridgemonkey bivvy light is great! These new ones come with a remote control that not only turns it on and off but varies the light intensity. Great product. Thanks Ben Neuss for the birthday present!


I had to clean the floor with water and use my hands to sloosh it out the front door. Milk everywhere!

18.19

Another fish out to the left. I've noticed on here that you can hear them moving but you don't get takes. I'm not sure how to interpret this other than to say that the normal rule of moving fish equals feeding fish does not apply.


18.23

There's another. Further up to the left. Curious. They've suddenly started.


18.27

BIG splash up to the right!


20.40

Fish activity has stopped and now all is quiet. There is the occasional bleep from the buzzer as the wind gets up and catches the line but apart from that nothing. Very mild for November.


Having said that, a fish has just jumped up to the left!


22.53

Line bite on the rh rod. The wind has dropped off so it's not that. Are fish getting on to the spod mix?


19th. November


07.02

Fish continued to move during the night and I once again wondered why takes were not forthcoming. It is the way of the fishing on this lake and is endlessly curious. But now we enter the period when I am most confident of a take; we shall see what occurs.


It looks ok here. When it started to rain things were quite different.

Just wondering whether to risk putting more spod mix out. There's always the fear you'll frighten off any fish in the vicinity but this is always a risk.


8.57

I decided to throw caution to the wind and bait up with the remainder of the spod mix. I think the only thing this has done is attract the entire Gull population of the northern hemisphere! Hey ho! It is what it is.


09.29

Just had a bit of a search around the peg with the marker rod and found ten feet coming up to three. It's six at three and a quarter wraps. This might be a better area to fish than the spot out to the right. This spot is to the left as close to the tree as you can cast.


Hmmm... think I might try here next time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog