Waiting for the 'Rain' to stop.

Tuesday, 4th. August 2020

Paddlesworth, Pollard, Peg32

11.00

Rh rod: 4.25 wraps to the right of the end of the rushes. Spod @ 4.0 wraps. 6ft.


Centre rod:. 12 wraps @ The Brambles. Spod 11.25 wraps. 6 ft.


LH rod: 10 wraps @ The Box. Spod 9.75 wraps. 6ft.

Peg 32. Many member's favourite. Will it be successful for me?

Looking down the lake to the left. The Brambles is the peg opposite and The Box, just behind the branches of the bush on the left

13.26

It was worth the session just talking to Steve M this morning on my walk. He's given me the marks in this peg. I don't think I would have put baits on them myself.


I am surprised at the shallowness of this part of the lake. In peg 30 there is 18ft at 18 wraps so there is a marked change in the bottom - losing 12ft. A significant feature.


All baits are out and my confidence is high. Mind you, it's been high before. I just need the fish to do the decent thing.


15.10

I'm happy with the left and centre rods. These are in the water where I saw fish showing last week. Not seen anything so far though.


16.45

Just heard a fish, way up to the right. In front of me, Coots have been picking my baits up all afternoon. Has this ruined my presentation?


19.00

I just wondered what the effects of furloughing have had on the fishing? There have certainly been more cars in the car park than I remember previously. People off work and fishing have placed an additional burden on the fishery. Can't do anything about that. Hey ho!


19.50

I've seen absolutely nothing out on the water today. If anything, it's even quieter than last week. Unless there's a rush of activity tonight I'm looking at yet another blank.


21.00

For some reason, I decided to concentrate the remainder of the spod mix onto the centre rod. Ryan has always said the Carp in here are munching machines. Lots of bait is always a good ploy. I'm not sure they always want it but it's worth trying on one of the three rods.


3 ozs. In-Line lead rig. Soft, supple braid tied to a size four curve shank. A 'D' tied from 20lbs. Fox 'Illusion'. I much prefer the stiff 'D' to one tied from braid.

Although my results have been poor to say the least, I bear in mind, I didn't catch my first Carp until October last year.


22.17

It's gone ten o'clock and there's no sign of Bream yet (although that's probably put the mockers on things!)

Wednesday, 5th. August 2020

05.00

Restful night's sleep. No interruptions. Nothing. Not even a Bream. Now that shows you how quiet it was.


I wonder whether the shallowness of the water had something to do with it? Maybe the Bream stick to the deeper areas at night? Maybe there's been a fish kill and the entire fish populations of Pollard have died? At the moment it feels like it.


05.40

For the first time this year, I have entered the mindset of defeat. At the moment it feels like I am never going to catch anything. On the one hand, I know I can catch on Pollard because I have done so before. On the other, things feel pointless, continually blanking. Maybe I need to give it a rest for a while? Perhaps that would be an admission of defeat? Perhaps what it's really all about is a refusal to accept defeat? Maybe that's really what this period of fishing is all about? I certainly need to catch something soon for I fear depression and unhappiness may descend on what should be a joy.


06.00

I spoke to Nobby yesterday. He said fish were all over him in P36. They were definitely at this end of the lake.


A conspiracy of circumstances. A congruence of negative outcomes. There's nothing you can do about that. Sometimes in life, things are beyond your control. They are just not meant to be.


When it's raining, the only thing you can do is hunker down and let it pass. Better times will come. They will.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog