Is it just me?

Tuesday 16th.June 2020

Paddlesworth, Pollard, peg32


12.00

Another complete re-think after last week's session. The issue on the lake at the moment is the weed. Although I have complete confidence in Ryan's wafters, I think they are unsuitable to use where weed is present. Consequently, I have gone for pop-up presentations on all three rods. 

Peg 32. Are there any fish in it?... Apparently not.

Now I have never been a fan of Ronnie rigs, successful as they are. I can't abide all that ironmongery. I much prefer my tried and tested Stiff Hinge rig. I have had so many fish on these in the past I don't need to worry about confidence in them. I tie them very short, using the stripped back coating of the braid as the 'hinge'. Putty on the Albright knot acts as ballast.

Stiff Hinge Rig. Tests at the end of the session showed the whole lot collapsing in a heap instead of straightening out nicely as shown in the videos!

All three baits are on the same mark. Five wraps off the bush to my right. The Spomb is clipped at four and three quarters. Haven't baited heavily, just a few spombs to get the fish grubbing about.


The depth on the mark is nine and a half feet which is within the ten foot limit suggested by Ryan.


13.00

Once again the lake looks very quiet. There is no activity in front of me and I can not hear any either to the left or right of me. The only hope is they will feed tonight.


15.50

Just heard a loud clap of thunder - and there, it's done it again. Could be in for a bit of a storm before too long! 


16.30

Well, I don't know what that was all about. All that noise came to nothing, certainly no rain. Still haven't heard a fish show yet.


17.00

Conditions are pretty good I would say. There is a nice left to right breeze blowing down to my end of the lake and the temperature has dropped to a good level. All in all, it's looking good. There is however no sign of any fish.


Choddy, tied from 15lbs. Korda 'Mouthtrap'

18.00

Temperature perfect at the moment, neither too hot nor too cold. I would say it's looking great for a bite tonight 🌛


20.00

Just seen the first fish of the session jump, straight out in front of me, half way across. At last there's something alive out there!


20.02

And again, slightly out to the left this time. I wonder if this is the start of something approaching action?


20.30

Just made a slight change to the middle rod. I've made the boom longer and also made the choddy section taller. I've also added putty mid-way along the boom to help straighten things out better.


22.45

Had the first Bream of the night. Left-hand rod.


23.00

Bream number two on the same rod.


You can tell there's not much to say when you put up pictures of evening dinner!

Mind you, it was a rather delicious chicken curry!


Wednesday, 17th.June


00.15

Where have all the Bream gone? Seems like they've done the off.


00.40

I'm getting line bites so I guess they're still out there.


07.00

There's nothing going on out there. There's been even less activity than last time if that's possible. In fact, I don't remember the lake ever being so quiet. I seriously don't think it's anything to do with how I'm fishing, it's just the fish are plainly not having it at the moment.


Did I put too much bait out? No, I don't think so; the Bream moved in and cleared me out in no time. There couldn't have been an awful lot there.


I wonder why I struggle so much to catch a summer fish? You would have thought they'd be easier to catch in the warmer weather than the winter. My results, however, indicate otherwise.


07.45

Recast all rods to make sure I've got a good presentation. Fishing over weed can be problematic in so far as it can envelope itself around the rig without you knowing.


I confess I've just about reached the limit of my repertoire. I suppose the only thing I can do is to keep pegging away at it.


09.15

I think you develop an instinct over the years about whether what you're doing is going to catch a fish or not. Right now I have every confidence in my tactics - it's just that the fish are refusing to play ball. There's only one thing to do and that is to wait until they decide they want to.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog