Thursday, 5th.July

The Back Lake, Exit Path Swim

12 Noon
Have you ever had a water that for years you’ve been meaning to have a go at - but never quite found the time to actually get around to fishing? So it is with The Back Lake.

I’ve known about it for years, several friends having fished it, caught its inhabitants and moved on to pastures new. I’ve only held back because of the very bad reputation it has of being local to one of the less salubrious neighbourhoods of the town; new, modern houses, but populated by scumbags. Indeed, it’s only a year or so ago the club’s bailiff was so badly beaten up whilst confronting someone who refused to buy a day ticket, that he was put in hospital. A sad state of affairs, not to say absolutely disgusting. You can understand my reluctance to even come near the place!

Lately, my interest was aroused when an acquaintance told me about the fish he had caught here during the winter months, fish that were over thirty pounds! I felt I had to have a ticket; indeed, it’d be rude not to!

Three to four acres in size with beds of water-lilies and stands of bullrushes and reeds, Chris and I have made it our habit to take frequent walks around its banks it being fairly close to home. We never fail to see fish, some of them big ones and generally, they are either at one end of the lake, or the other.

Local Councils are rarely good for anything - but they can be congratulated for setting up, and providing facilities for, this local Community Angling Club. Well done Swale Borough Council! (for once).

Today, the lake was packed when I arrived and I am having to fish a middle berth so many are in attendance. This is not a bad thing however as I think they’ve been pushed away from the popular areas by angling pressure and I’ve seen one or two on the top, straight out in front over 19 ft. of water where I am fishing black zigs at two, four, and one foot below the surface on Nash Adjustable Zig Kits. You cannot beat an adjustable zig for this depth of water and I am quietly confident of a fish.

Over on the far side, someone is heaving in a bucket of particles…what?! It’s thirty degrees and has been so for the past fortnight! Does he honestly think he’s going to catch on the bottom in this sort of weather?!

Nah....... you're not going to catch anything with temperatures as high as this!

12.30
Recast the rh rod so it’s a bit further across. There have been fish moving out in front - some with backs cleaving the surface so I have adjusted things to fish just one foot below the surface on all rods.

13.15
Activity has stopped out there for the moment, in no small part due to the hordes of ‘Flying Rats’ (Seagulls) swarming all over the water. I put some Chum Mixer out to see whether anything would come up to the surface and it is this that has attracted them.

There's an inevitability about minor problems on public access lakes. Kids running around, dog walkers throwing sticks into the water so their animals can have a dip. It's amazing however how the average non-angler knows absolutely nothing about Angling and angling practices. Could it never have entered her tiny mind that the disturbance caused by her pooch thrashing about in the water - might just annoy others?
Nah... 'cos she's brain-dead and doesn't give a damn. Or ignorant... Let's say she's both!

Up and down, and in and out of my seat, looking to see if I can see anything. It’s the heat of the day now and I’d be astonished if anything took a bait right now. Might stand a chance if I stopped on until the evening though.

13.30
Recast the lh rod to a point to the right of the reeds to my left. Saw a fish move on the top there. Adjusted the zig on the centre rod to two feet down.

There’s a nice cooling breeze got up; I wonder if it’s enough to cool the top one foot to elicite a take?

Although a breeze got up, it didn't last for very long and the hot conditions persisted. No chance of a fish; must be off...

16.00
Pack up and home. It’s so hot, nothing is going to take a bait. Before I go however, I’m taking the opportunity to try and find a shallow bar someone has told me about. It’s supposed to be only eleven feet deep, surrounded by water that goes down to sixteen to nineteen feet deep.

There it is! Found it!

Mark: Far swim. 12ft. @ 9 + 2.5 wraps

Mark: Tree to right of lilies. 12ft. @ 10 + 3 wraps.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog